Wow and just like that the adorable, cutesy cannot-do-wrong two year old is gone…and he’s not even 3 yet!!!
I remember this well with Levi and now it’s dawning on me that we are going back into the war zone with Louis. For some reason my boys seem to totally skip terrible twos and become threenagers!!!
You know you have a threenager when:
- You can feel like putting yourself in time out…that feeling that you cannot be without them seems to dim slightly and you can consider having some time away…is this why we start funding 20 free hours in NZ Childcare centres from 3 years? 😂
- There is no way in hell there is any compromise…before you could gently coax or ‘ahem’ manipulate them into thinking wearing their gumboots on was a good idea, now it’s an all out brawl! They end up wearing the gumboots but on the wrong feet because they fight for them to be on the wrong feet all the while you feel the grey hairs beginning to sprout on your head.
- Easy tasks are huge tasks…putting a lid on their drink bottle HAS to be done by them, in their time, their way. Half an hour later after a fit of rage, screams and water everywhere the lid is on the bottle!!
- You think you have them pegged in the eating department, you feel you know what they like and what they don’t. Nope it’s like their taste buds change daily and they almost enjoy not liking any food anymore!
- They don’t want to walk anymore…What used to be a fierce independence of walking unchartered territory has now given way to sore legs, tiredness and laziness. You vow not to carry them anymore since they are so heavy but as they scream along behind you in public and attract sympathetic stares from onlookers you reluctantly pick them up and continue walking. They won…again.
- Bedtime is a mission!!!!!! They used to love naps and going to bed, now there is every excuse in the world to not go to bed and will get up numerous times! But they are so exhausted they NEED the sleep, you NEED them to sleep and they will fight to the bitter end!
- You love them unconditionally and they know it. They know that it makes you immensely happy when they tidy up so just as you are about to loose your cool they begin tidying up their toys without being asked! So you scoop them up for a cuddle to thank them for being so amazing, then they tell you not to help as they are tidying THEIR way!
So it’s time to devise a new plan for our threenager, what boundaries that will not be crossed and what we will let slide. For picking your battles with a threenager is the only way to stay sane as a parent 😉