This is a cheap and easy activity for your child that helps them to identify letters, read, spell and write words. So easy I have made an extra for a giveaway that I will share with you tomorrow!
I made this activity for $12! It can be re-used throughout their schooling with their spelling words and is an easy way to make a mundane homework activity fun! Of course if you already have a baking tray and the alphabet letters it can be absolutely free!
I laminated the word card so it can be reused but you could just as easy write your child’s words on paper and stick it on the tray.
1 cookie baking tray (Kmart had cheap ones!)
Magnetic alphabet tiles (I found they were cheapest at The Warehouse)
Washi tape or vivid to draw a line on the tray
- Stick washi tape on the tray to make a line for your child to make words on. You could just as easy draw a vivid line on the tray if you did not have tape.
- Write the word your child is focusing on paper and stick at the top of the tray.
- To start with you can have the letters they need to make the word jumbled on the line, this makes it easier for them to order the letters when learning the word.
- The next stage would be to put the letters jumbled at the bottom of the tray.
- When they are very confident you can put a group of letters under the line, some won’t be in the word so they have to identify what they need and order them on the line.
This activity can also be adapted to learn their names with younger children. Why not give this a try I would love to hear how you go!